I am absolutely obsessed with candles and salt lamps. If I am chillin in my room for a long period of time, there is at least one candle burning. I love the whole candles lit, chill music, and relax vibe. What’s not to love about candles? They set a vibe AND they smell good. I like going to Marshalls and candle shopping. They have an extensive variety of candles at great prices. It takes me forever to shop for candles because I like to smell as many as I can before I just pick a few. I honestly don’t want to know how much money I spend on candles. I go through them so fast since I burn them for hours on end. Like right now, as I type this, I have had candles burning for about 5 hours now. Whatever, it’s worth it.
Salt Lamps, hmm, where do I begin? I got my first salt lamp my sophomore year of college. My friend got one for her birthday and I saw it in her room and thought it was cute. I didn’t know anything about them, I just liked the way they looked. So one day, I was at the mall in Earthbound buying incense when I saw salt lamps. The store clerk came up to me and asked me if I knew anything about Himalayan salt lamps. I didn’t so he started telling me how they emit negative ions into the atmosphere. I didn’t know what he was talking about, but I bought a couple anyways because they were cute. I later went home and did some research and found out so much more. Here’s what I found out salt lamps are said to do.
- Neutralize Electromagnetic Radiation. We use so much electronics in our lives and they emit electromagnetic radiation. This electromagnetic radiation is said to cause stress, chronic fatigue, decreased immune system response, frequent headaches, and more, I don’t know if this stuff is really true. but supposedly the negative ions emitted by the salt lamps helps reduce these effects.
- Cleans and Deodorizes the Air. This is what a site I found said.”Himalayan salt lamps purify air through the power of hygroscopy, meaning that they attract water molecules from the surrounding environment then absorb those molecules – as well as any foreign particles they may be carrying – into the salt crystal. As the HPS lamp warms up from the heat produced inside, that same water then evaporates back into the air and the trapped particles of dust, pollen, smoke, etc remain locked in the salt.”
- Reduce Allergy and Asthma Symptoms. Cleaner air= less asthma and allergy symptoms, duh.
- Better Sleep. Positive ions are said to cause people to have irregular sleep patterns. By balancing out the negative ions with the positive, salt lamps improve sleep quality.
- Improve Mood and Concentration. Negative ions increase blood and oxygen flow to the brain. This helps with concentration. They also provide serotonin boosts, improving mood.
- Increase Energy Levels. Negative ions help restore energy that is drained by positive ions.
I also found out that waterfalls, crystals like amethyst (my birthstone) and tourmaline, plant leaves, and bonfires emit negative ions as well. You should definitely read more about negative ions. They’re like the “vitamins of the air.” If you decide to get a Himalayan salt lamp, no.1 make sure it’s real and no.2 get the kind you put a candle in, not the plug up kind. The heat is source is what makes it work and a natural heat source is a lot better than an electric one. I fall asleep with tea light candles in my salt lamps. Once the way runs out, the candle goes out so it’s completely safe to fall asleep with it lit.
SideNote: If you ever decide you wanna get ya girl a gift or something, just get me candles or a salt lamp and I’ll love you forever. ♥♥♥